Saturday, December 03, 2005

Obsession with Apple

From the day I was able to afford my first Apple Mac - an eMac, Apple has induced me into spending continuously. I have since then bought an iPod Shuffle, an iPod photo, Mac OS X (Tiger) and now succumbed to the temptation of the iBook. But sense prevailed and I got a used one from eBay. I had doubts whether a 3/4-year old G3 would be able to handle the latest OS, but the doubts have been laid to rest. It is unbelievably smooth. [Imagine Windows XP on a 500Mhz machine]. And it looks just fantastic. Icy white and apart from the letters on the keyboard and the name iBook on the lower portion of the screen, there is no color other than white.

I am not sure whether it is the hardware or the software which makes Apple devices better than anything else, but possibly it is due to the flawless design in either of them. There are no rough edges on either the hardware or the software. This lack of rough edges is what makes the products so unique. Smooth and sharp go hand in hand in all the Apple products. Each product looks so complete that you think that this cannot be improved anymore, and then Steve Jobs comes up with a Keynote announcement.

I think this iBook will chug along for the next couple of years and that is really good value for money. I hope I can keep away from the temptation of getting a new one with Intel chips next year. Anyway I already have made a couple of plans if I couldn't resist it then.





No comments: